How to avoid shut down while playing Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR)
I purchased SWTOR last week and installed it. About 30min playing my laptop shut down. I restarted Windows and I saw that it was a blue screen error.
After updating my NVIDIA graphics card driver, I tried again and it was the same.
My acer laptop has the following specifications, which are good for playing SWTOR:
– Intel Core 2 Duo processor P8400 (2.26 GHz), which is not great, but it is ok
– 4 GB of RAM Memory, not bad.
– NVIDIA graphics card GeForce 9600M GT, 512 MB dedicated and up to 1791MB
– Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
I read many forums and it’s not an isolated problem. Many of you have the same shut-down error in laptops mainly, even if the laptops exceed the minimum specifications like mine.
This blue-screen error wasn’t because of the graphics card or the RAM memory, it seemed that was a overheating processor problem. It seems like SWTOR takes 100% of the processor and when after playing 15-30 minutes the processor is overheated and the computer shuts down to prevent hardware damage.
I couldn’t do anything about how SWTOR uses the processor, that’s their own business to solve, but I could limit the percentage of the processor usage, so it wouldn’t overheat, and probably wouldn’t shut down.
So this is the solution I got: Using a software like Process Tamer, to limit the processor down to 90 or 95% of usage. If you don’t know how to do it yourself here’s a quick guide to install ProcessTamer and the options you want to select:
- Download the ProcessTamer Setup binary and install it.
- When you launch the program it will start a ProcessTamer Tray, you can double-click the tray icon to change preferences:You can Donate or obtain a Free License Key if you want, but it’s not necessary. We only need to change one option:Set the ‘CPU Usage Trigger High’ to 90 or 95 in the ‘Configuration’ tab.
NOTE: You can try 95% and if SWTOR runs ok, leave it or you can try increasing this value up to 97, 98%. You just need to increase/decrease this percentage until you can play and it’s high enough. I set mine at 95.
- Let’s play SWTOR avoiding shut down until they fix this bug!
The swtor.exe processes and the others will go up to 95% (or what you set) of CPU usage, just remember to launch the Process Tamer Tray everytime you want to play SWTOR.